2021-08-24 6:30 PM
My next Feature Writing online short course will begin in autumn 2021. It’s a six week course, two hours per week.
Email me via the Contact page of this website to express interest in enrolling.
Media editors are always looking for fresh and engaging freelance feature content, especially when it comes to travel articles, opinion pieces, personal columns, profiles and informative features. In this online course we will introduce you to the basics of feature writing and show you how to pitch and sell your work to relevant publications. You will learn how to find an eye-catching ‘angle’, how to write to the traditional formulas of feature articles, and how to write for a particular ‘house-style’. You will receive individual feedback from the tutor for some of the work you complete during the course.
- How to come up with a fresh ‘angle’ for a feature article
- How to tailor your feature articles for a ‘house-style’
- How to write personal columns and essays
- How to write opinion pieces and reviews
- How to conduct interviews and write profiles
- How to research and write informative features, including travel articles
- How to be an ethical feature writer
- How to identify appropriate publications, then pitch your story ideas and articles to editors.
Public, private and community sector professionals and creative writers interested in learning new skills, or refreshing existing ones, in feature writing.
Cost: $400 ($350 concession)