SP – What’s Happening [June 21]
– On Monday June 22nd i’ll be hosting a community forum for the City of Maribyrnong to discuss the future of Jack’s Magazine, an exciting new arts space in the western suburbs of Melbourne.
– At the end of June i’ll be re-visiting East Timor (my last trip was in 2005) to attend the 2009 Timor-Leste Studies Association Conference, ‘Understanding Timor-Leste: A Research Conference’ in Dili from 2-3 July. I plan to produce some radio features from this trip.
– On Thursday July 9th I will be conducting the first of five monthly workshops for the Victorian Writer’s Centre on writing non-fiction. Places are still available if you’re interested in coming along but bookings close early in July so best to get in touch with the VWC soon.
– I’ve been invited to give a recital of French art songs and clarinet works at the Benalla Art Gallery on the afternoon of Sunday July 12th. Starts at 2:30 pm and composers will include Hahn, Poulenc, Satie, Bozza and Faure.
– From Thursday 23rd July to Sunday 26th July i’ll be performing with singer/songwriter Paul Kelly in Christchurch, New Zealand for his A to Z concerts during the Christchurch Festival.
– And from August 7th to 9th I’ll be appearing at the Byron Bay Writer’s Festival, hosting a range of forums and being interviewed ‘In Conversation’ by Sophie Cunningham, editor of Meanjin, about my essay on shyness in the June edition of that journal. Keep en eye out also for my essay about the Balibo Five in the September edition of Meanjin.
– Anyone interested in applying for the excellent RMIT Professional Writing and Editing course (in which i teach journalism and non-fiction part-time) would be well-advised to do so as soon as possible, before TAFE fees rise hugely (starting in 2010) for students who already have a degree or diploma – from approximately $800 a year to $8000!